Sunday, July 23, 2017

I Got Stuck

Today was our full first day in Providence. I woke up at 8 AM, was ready to go by 8:30. I met with everyone downstairs, as we waited for Kendra. We got picked up, and  made our way to the Brown Bookstore to rent our box fans before they ran out. Turns out they didn't have fans for rent, only for sale.

Faunce Hall was the place where we could rent our fans. Turns out, that was where the check ins were happening. There were quite a few people and quite a few stations. We had already checked in last night, so we were all good to go. We picked up our fans, and were looking for a place to get breakfast, since we were all starving. The majority of the good places were in downtown Providence, specifically Federal Hill. We ended up eating at a vegetarian place called the Grange, which was absolutely delicious. The service was wonderful, and the food was fantastic, what more could I ask for? After eating, I went to go use the restroom; however when I came out everyone was gone. I  assumed they just went outside to wait so I was so confused when I didn't see them outside. I began looking for the car and I later realized I had  been walking in the wrong direction. I spotted the car, and when I opened the door, I found my whole cohort in tears from all the laughter. They thought it'd be a good idea to prank me, and I admit, they got me.

We made a quick pit stop by our dorm to drop off our fans and pick up a few items. That was when I met my rooomate! Her  name is Sonia and her family is from India, but they currently all live in Hong Kong. She's incredibly sweet, which is a relief since I was so worried about not getting a good roomate.

We then went back to the bookstore, where we ended up spending about 2 hours. Just like Penn,  the Brown bookstore was your typical bookstore: anything and everything with the school's logo. We spent quite a bit of time just looking around, and then finally started looking for an item for ourselves. I decided on a grey quarter zip up, which is incredibly comfy and soft, I also really liked it because I loved turtle necks. I helped Kelsey pick out gifts for her family, and then we continued to look around for a bit. My feet were really tired from all the walking we've been doing the past few days, and I wanted to sit down. 

While we were going down the stairs, my eyes landed on a crate of pillows. For some reason  I thought that it would be a wonderful idea to sit on the pillows. I began to sink in little by little. When I tried getting up, I realized I was stuck. It was nearly impossible for me to get up since I had sunk down so low. If it weren't for Kelsey, I don't know how long I would have been there. After many attempts, she finally managed to pull me up and we headed out the book store with our purchases.

We rushed over to campus for our orientation, and that was when it hit me how many people were a part of the Leadership Institute. All the bottom and top seats were completely filled. The  orientation was started by discussing campus security and general rules such as curfew and what numbers to call in case of an emergency. They then began to introduce our RA's by houses. Perkins coming last. My RA is a really sweet girl named Vi, and I think we'll be getting along just fine.

After orientation, our designated RA's gave us tours around campus, which actually was pretty helpful, especially in finding my class. Afterwards, I quickly walked back to my dorm to draft out a bit of my blog before the activities fair. Kelsey and I worked for a bit when our stomachs began to grumble. We walked down to the Ratty (without getting lost!) and had a quick dinner. The dining hall was surprisingly not as large as I thought it would be, but it was still a quite large.

Kelsey, Esmeralda, and I walked out of the Ratty to Solomon, which is a large grassy area in the middle of campus, where the activities fair was being held. The purpose of the fair was to introduce all the different resources, clubs, and events going on within campus throughout our time here. I saw that they were offering quidditch after class on Mondays, which I immediately signed up for!

Tomorrow is my first day of class, and I'm both excited and nervous. I have high hopes for this class, as I've met with a lot of my classmates today and they're all super sweet. I may be on the other side of the country, but I'm genuinely starting to enjoy myself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment