Sunday, July 30, 2017

What Island?

Today was Sunday, which can only mean one thing--tomorrow is Monday!!  Today was just like yesterday, except a bit more relaxed and laid back. The group and I made our way to Block Island today. My high expectations of a peaceful beach had been stifled when I saw a tourist packed island. 

We caught the 11 a.m. ferry over n Narragansett, which was already a 40 minute drive. Lately no matter where I am or where I'm going, if I am in a  moving vehicle, I fall asleep within 5 minutes. It's actually nice being able to take mini naps throughout the day. Continuing on that pattern, I fell  asleep for portions of the car ride and on the swaying ferry when I could see nothing but ocean.
We sleep a lot


The ride itself was incredibly relaxing though. The view was gorgeous, the breeze was wonderful, and there was just enough warmth to call it perfect. It was actually my first time ever being on a ferry, so I wasn't sure whether or not I would become sea sick, but luckily enough the boat ride just made me feel sleepy and nothing else.

The ferry docked at around 1:30, and we decided to grab a bite to eat before we start exploring since we were all hungry. We asked the visitors' center where they would recommend to eat, and they directed us to this little place called Rebecca's. The food was definitely not the best I've had so far on the trip, but it had something for everyone to eat.
I liked this picture

Once we finished eating, we planned an excursion to the bluffs, which was about a 30 minute walk away. As we were walking, I couldn't help but feel like I was in A Little House on the Prairie. All the houses resembled one another, giving off a beachy feel. Nonetheless, the walk was peaceful, and not to mention--beautiful. There was so much more greenery there than we have in California during the summer time, where the term 'Golden State' definitely comes into play.  

Once we reached the bluffs, we took in the view, as well as a few photographs. Rather than walking the distance back to the town, we called a cab. Our cab driver was a man named Lesly who has lived on the island his entire life. It was interesting to think someone can spend all of their time on such a tiny island.

We grabbed some snacks when we came back  to town and decided to visit the gift shops. There was honestly nothing unique or eye catching, and everything was ridiculously over priced. It was still nice to walk around though.
A lake we found during our hike

Our main incentive for coming to Block Island was to spend some time on the beach, and so that's what we did. Esmeralda, Kelsey, and I chilled on the beach for about an hour or so, while Bianche went back to the town with Kendra. Sitting on the beach, in the warm sand felt so nice after feeling so exhausted. It may have been overcrowded, but  I tried my best to make the best of things. 

We then caught the 6:10 ferry, which would be about an hour or so. My attempt was to stay awake and get some work done; however as the ferry rocked back and forth, it was nearly impossible to keep my eyes open, and so we all decided to take a nap while we could. (I slept on the car ride back too, but there is nothing wrong with that). Once we docked, we got dinner from a place called Gansett Wraps, which was surprisingly delicious. They had a sign on the door saying "No shoes, no shirt, no service" and I thought that was interesting.

The car ride back home ended up being much longer than expected since there was quite a bit of traffic on the freeway. The stop go motion once again made me fall asleep and when I woke up, we were miraculously in Providence.

No comments:

Post a Comment